Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Remembering...

I always would watch out our front door on the first day of school to see the little kids waiting for the school bus . They would be so well dressed. Oh, how things have changed. Shorts and tees and every cartoon character represented on backpacks. How did we ever carry books before backpacks? School bags? Was it always so hot in September? Back to school meant fall clothes. During Fern's early school days..girls had to wear skirts. Leotards to cover frozen legs and she constantly came home with holes in the knees. (the leotards and HER knees)
No jeans for boys or girls. Pants for the guys. Patches on the pants were not the fun kind of the flower children era. Shel had lots of holey pants and bloody knees. No sneaker..running shoes..cross trainers or what ever you call them today. Great orthopedic shoes. I wore penny loafers during high school and rolled down white socks and pencil skirts (back in style). A real Navy pea jacket was a favorite. El and Ar had a real long ride to school in kindergarden...5 minutes. I remember bringing Ar a change of clothes several times as her motion sick sister shared her breakfast with her sister. Speaking of breakfast, how many cheesy toasts did I hand out as you guys ran out the front door? "BRIGHT EYED AND BUSHY TAILED AND KEEP YOUR HEAD SCREWED ON TIGHT. HAVE A GREAT DAY" Did I really say that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is still racing .... I never feel good on the first day of school :( Timothy wakes up, showers, ready to roll ...Daniel barely wakes up ...yelling, miserable! then soldiers on to the bus stop.

Anonymous said...

What about me? Do you remember anything? I'm feeling alittle left out.

Anonymous said...

You know I love you. I was rambling on too long and left out this thought. Our once shy and quiet Sue had a hard time the first few weeks of nursery school. It took a long time before she would respond to attendance call with "Here". It took alot of encouragement to get her to go up and down the slide at the church playground. Off to school you all went and I sat quietly with my coffee and..enjoyed the silence.

arlynn said...

Hurray for Mommmy !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember my first school bag. I was red and blue leather and it had wonderful brass(?) latches..the rectangle kind that fit into recatangle grommets and twisted with a satisfying click...I think I liked it for those the best...and two pockets on the front.

Oh yea and the red leotards..with patches..haaha

Anonymous said...

with cheesey bread in hand ...icicles forming on my wet hair ! .... trying to forget the barfy ride ...but I was allowed to have candy on the bus!...and I DON'T want to talk about orthapedic shoes:(