

Tonight is the Yahrzeit (anniversary as of the Jewish calendar) of my mothers death. I will light a candle and say a prayer in memory of the special person she was. She endured some difficult times. Progroms in Salat, Lithuania..hiding behind tombstones . Good memories of childhood too. Snow that lasted all winter and ice skating on the local ponds. Plucking feathers to fill mattresses and quilts and later used for pillows that some of us still lay our heads on at night. Dad died at a young age after a long illness and left her with 3 children to raise alone with no money. She took in a varity of boarders through the years to pay the rent and feed us. Mom not only made great cookies and an interesting wine but she painted and sewed and did electrical work and put out fires. A very gentle , quiet but strong woman who loved you all

3 comments:
That made me smile and cry. I'll think about her all day today.
Did I ever tell you that I felt that she touched my face a few days after my In-vitro that resulted in Shaina.
It was the middle of the night at your house when I was sleeping over during graduate school. Someone touched my cheek in a comforting/motherly way. I woke up and no-one was there. I truly felt comforted and that things might "be ok".
For some reason, I have always believed it was her. : )
She had the softest hands and made the smoothest, tightest, best smelling braids.
interesting wine? what is that about?
My mother the moonshiner..Mom would buy the cherry remains(mash) from a whiskey(brandy) distilery in South Philly. I think they call it vishnic. Add stuff to make a wine very much like Manachevitz. It would sit in gallons by the floor heating vent in the dining room curing until the holidays and perfume the air Dad has tried to purchase the vishnic..Can't find it anymore.
Post a Comment